Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Potty Training

Zac has become very interested in the potty.  He's asks to sit on the potty, and tells me when he needs a diaper change.  We've had multiple success with getting to the potty in time to urinate, no pooping yet.  In Zac's world, everything that happens in his diaper is poop. 

A few weeks ago, he asked me about underpants.

"Thackie got underpants, mama?" He asked.

"Do you want underpants, buddy?" I replied.

"YEAH! Underpants" He gave me his best big boy grin, so enthusiastic!

"What will you do with underpants?" I was honestly curious how much he knows about the whole potty thing.

"No pooping mama.  Underpants not for pooping.  Diapers for pooping."  He was really serious in his reply, like he's got it all figured out.

Santa brought Zac 14 pairs of underpants for Christmas - 7 cars themed, 7 Thomas themed. He immediately went from being a toddler to being a college student, and promptly put a pair on his head.




A week or so ago, I got a wake up in the middle of the night over the monitor.

"Mama! MAMA! I POOPED OUT MY PENIS! MAMA! MY JAMMIES WET! Maaaaaaaaaaaaaamaaaaaaaaaaa!" he called out.

When I got upstairs, he was standing in his crib, pulling his wet jammies away from his body.  I asked him what happened. 

"I POOPED.  OUT MY PENIS. Change diaper, Mama?"

While getting him changed, I talked about pooping and peeing, and how pee is just wet, while poop is smushy.  I didn't go into which body parts make what happen, but I did tell him we had much bigger problems if he'd actually pooped from his penis.
Over the weekend, he had over 2 hours of time in underpants with no accidents (no using the potty, but no accidents, either).  What I don't know about potty training would fill a book, but I'm pretty sure his awareness of what has happened and what is needed means a step in the right direction toward diaper freedom.



No comments:

Post a Comment